The Maya Centre Core Service
- Detailed assessments of the therapeutic needs of women referred to us
- Long term psychodynamic counselling for those who meet our criteria and for whom it is appropriate
- Psychodynamic and also therapeutic group work
Our counselling is psychodynamic in nature which means that it looks not only at problems in the present but, crucially, at the roots of these problems in the past.
We can offer counselling in a number of different languages and we also have staff who specialise in working with:
- Irish women
- Ethnic minority and refugee women
- Women suffering from domestic violence or survivors of child sexual abuse
- Older women
We deliver counselling on behalf of Islington Council through the ACCEPT consortium
This is for women who are:
- survivors of domestic violence or childhood sexual abuse
- refugees or asylum seekers
- trying to cope with bereavement
- TRIO – working with homeless women – We are working with Thamesreach and Eaves to provide a holistic support package for women identified as homeless by London outreach teams. The Maya Centre will provide a rapid response therapeutic assessment and counselling for TRIO clients.
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) – A new group for survivors of FGM will be starting at the Maya Centre soon.